Wednesday, November 4, 2009

MFC 22 - Would like my money back

Sorry for slacking on this entry.
I know the card was back last month, but I just started a new job so I'm behind on a lot of things.
I chose this card because most of the main card fighters were previously in the UFC, so there was some names that I was familiar with, so I felt it would make for a pretty decent and competitive regional

card.
So let's see what happened...


Ryan Jimmo defeats Marvin Eastman via Decision

What a snooze fest.
I know both guys came in with a game plan but I have no clue what either of them had in mind. Between both fighters' poor standup, wrestling and ground game, I would have liked to see this a draw to teach

both guys a lesson.
I always expect Eastman to perform better than he does, but that's probably due to the fact his physique makes him look like a video game character.


Mike Nickels defeats David Heath via Submission

This was a standup war, with one side trying to shoot itself.
Nickels was clearly getting the better in the standup arena, while Heath felt his machismo was more important than defending himself. There was also a clear difference between Nickels' concentration in

throwing strikes while Heath couldn't even keep his mouthpiece in.
Nickels could work on his power or put more follow through in his strikes to land more KO strikes next time.


John Alessio defeats Luigi Fioravanti via TKO

I thought this match was pretty even throughout the first 2 rounds.
I was looking for combos and a little more risking taking to try and steal rounds.
Nice hook to put Fioravanti down but nothing else really impressive.


Antonio McKee defeats Carlo Prater via Decision

Any chance of Prater winning was thoroughly diminished when he couldn't make weight, but it did cut the match an extra 10 minutes.
Between McKee's superior takedowns and creative GNP, Prater had nothing to offer. Somebody should have told Prater that he should have tried more to stand after getting taken down, rather than get pummeled

like raw meat at a butcher shop.


Travis Lutter defeats Jason McDonald via Decision

This match went the exact opposite of how I expected.
I felt Lutter's ground game was overrated, he gassed fairly easily and had no real standup to speak of.
McDonald, on the other hand, is usually in decent shape, and has a ton of experience trading strikes and sub attempts with some decent fighters. I really hated his rally in the 3rd round because it was more

than too late at that point for "The Athlete."
Or maybe Lutter just gassed out by then and was just clearly better than McDonald in the first 2 rounds.
Nonetheless, I'd have still put this as a main event on an UFN card.


My hope for a decent card were met but nothing to write home or really an entry about.

Learned my lesson for next time.

~S

No comments:

Post a Comment